Saturday, January 31, 2009

Smells like a rip-off to me


I had to share this.
This is an ad placed in the classified section of my local paper.
Before I get into an analysis, here's a rough translation:
"I was deep in debt and didn't know what to do, so I wrote to this dear man, and he wrote me back: 'within 35 days all of your problems will be solved.' And it was so. The two numbers he gave me were winners [in the lottery, I presume]. If you have problems that you can't handle, write him and don't forget to send $2."

OK, so this is an obvious scam. But what gets me is the photo of this supposed miracle man. He looks like a convict from the 1970s. Plus, if he's so clairvoyant, why does he place a cheap ad in a cheap newspaper? Because the people who read this trash are usually suckers. Also, the paper is in Puerto Rico, and he's in the Bronx, a hotbed of Puerto Rican superstition. Oh man, this is so cheesy, I feel like sending him the money just to see what happens.

1 comment:

Nilsa said...

Mijo: in times like these, I'm sending this guy my prepaid envolope. N.